Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

The 3 indisputable perks of my job

I had an awful week, hence why I have not posted anything new for a couple of days. I had the worst week (I've had plenty of bad days though) in my 7 year career with "an airline." It was just flat out disappointing. Needless to say I was so happy to come home last night and walk through the door to the sleeping chaos.

When people ask me about my job I often tell them that every pro is also a con. The last few days I couldn't help but see every aspect of my job as a con. I kid you not, this is the first time (ok maybe the 2nd but for totally different reasons) in 7 years that the thought of hanging up my wings actually crossed my mind. So on the 5 flights it took me to get home yesterday I pretended like it was my last day... just to see what my feelings were. This time when I thought about my job I wanted to force myself to come up with some perks that in no way, shape, or form could be seen as negative.

The first is that I get to sneak in some time with my girlfriends that I normally may not have the time for (most of these times I'm also getting paid). The other day I was able to sneak in a much needed breakfast date with one of my dearest friends who is also a flight attendant. This week, that was just what the Dr. ordered. The second perk is that it has allowed my family and I to see and do things together that we would never be able to do otherwise. My father in-law has said, "If I took as much time off as you guys do, I would loose my job!" Mind you, my father in-law unfortunately works for a company that does not offer many fringe benefits (paid vacation). That brings me to the third perk. I get lots of time off. I do spend lots of time away from home, however it does allow me to have several long weekends a month. I rarely miss a hockey game or a Friday pizza and movie night.

I don't want it to sound like I am bragging about my job (it has plenty of negative aspects too) these are just the things I needed to remind myself of in order to get through this turbulence. So tonight as I sit and enjoy the chaos, I know that my days as a flight attendant may be numbered but I'm not ready to hang my wings yet.

When you find yourself hating aspects of your life, how do take yourself out of the situation enough to recognize the positive? Especially if the negativity is being injected by other people (dishonest people).

What I wish other people could learn from my bad week:
Always be aware of how your actions affect the happiness of others. Do what is right even when it's difficult. In the end, it is better for everyone and it speaks volume for your character. In other words: In order to expect people to take responsibility for their part, you must take responsibility for yours.





No comments:

Post a Comment